Lodge meets in Wednesbury, the name of which originates from the
ancient name of ‘Woden’ and is situated in one of the
oldest areas of Sandwell. ‘Wadnesberie’ now Wednesbury
was first mention in the Doomsday Book. Nearby St Bartholomew Church
stands on a site where a church has stood since 711.
The founding members of the Lodge were drawn from members of Dartmouth
Lodge No. 960 [now No. 662] and Lodge of St Matthew No. 786. St
Bartholomew Lodge was formed in 1857 and the first recorded minutes
are dated 7th April of that year. However the Lodge was not consecrated
until the 18th November 1857. The Lodge first met at the Dartmouth
Hotel, and later at The Anchor Hotel. The Town Hall in Wednesbury
has also been used for Lodge meetings.
The Lodge has continued to meet in Wednesbury since 1857, apart
from a short period during the First World War when the Town Hall
was being used for the war effort. During that period the Lodge
continued to meet in Masonic rooms but in High Street, Walsall.
In early 1950 three members of the Lodge, Worshipful Brothers
Ernest BROWN, Ernest DARBY and Sidney FOOTE, found the premises
where the Lodge currently meets. The members purchased it and after
considerable alteration and reconstruction the building was dedicated
on 12th September that year.
2007 marked our 150th Anniversary. A number of events were organised
to celebrate this. An open day was held on the 21st April 2007
and was well attended by Lodge members and many interested members
of the public. The Lodge also held a celebration meeting on the
13th November 2007 at the Provincial Headquarters, Tettenhall Road,